Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Destruction and Madness




I used to think gaming was all competition and business. If you asked me a year ago if I thought a big esports organization could operate like a giant family, I probably would have shrugged and hesitantly replied with 'Yeah, I guess.' It seemed to me like the trend was becoming all work, no play and a lot of drama. Some groups seemed to get too big and it was hard to keep track of who was a member or professional gamer. Something about the industry made me sick to keep tabs on and I pulled back my support. After following a friend of mine's ventures around different groups, I finally realized a group he had settled with started to change my views about the typical esports organization.



For several months I kept my distance and my eye on SetToDestroyX esports. At first glance, their streamers and staff seemed to be the very definition of family. It was refreshing to see the amount of help, support and friendships that existed within the growing organization. Someone always seems to be active every hour of the day, which seems to help them keep track of everything. From the outside, it was easy to see that not everything with this group was a business deal. Curiosity had me wanting to be apart of this. However, it seemed like my chances would be slim to none. Several times I was encouraged to apply, but the only talent I honestly possess is writing. I'm no designer and never figured out how to stream. For a while I kept my eye on their ISO posts and it wasn't long before I caught a break. They were finally looking for a writer! Having nothing to lose and everything to gain, I put in my application.

Most of the time, people don't want to talk about their application process, but mine is one of those interesting cases. I approached the application with hope in one hand and my life long dream of wanting to write for an esports organization in the other. Truth be told, I have zero professional writing experience, which means I don't have a portfolio. Sure, I had a person or two who could (and I'm suspecting did) put in a good word for me, but heart alone doesn't always mean success. Sitting on a long shot, I honestly explained in my application that I had no previous experience or references. All I had was heart and passion to do whatever it took to help tell their story.

I'm still uncertain of what made Charlie take a chance on me, but I'm pretty sure someone put in a good word or I miraculously stood out, or there's even the chance that no one else applied too. However, I had put my application in near the end of November. The day before Thanksgiving, I had surgery scheduled to take my gallbladder out, and all went well. A few days later (November 28, 2016), I was officially brought into the organization. After a few hiccups trying to get some social media apps to work and under control, I immediately began to see first hand how special this entire organization is to, not just one another, but their fan base as well.

I could tell from the get-go that Charlie was a perfect person to work with. I'm not exactly sure the man sleeps, or if he has a clone, but he is the type of person to put in twice the amount of effort it takes to get things done. We aren't all perfect, but he's been patient enough to deal with me hammering out a few writing pieces, even when I got extremely sick around Christmas and had missed a deadline. I got the work in, and he seemed grateful that it was just done. Sure minor frustrations are there, but this is a drama free zone. Anything that starts to rise gets shut down quick, and who could really ask for more?

Getting bumped into 'management' (I tappy tap words not help manage the crazy!) it was an interesting move. I've been put in a position where I can see how management and the crew operate. The experience is always an interesting one. It's allowed me to see how diverse the people within SetToDestroyX are. I've gotten the chance to write some press releases for a few new teams signed under our name and it's clear to see their is no limitations on how far they plan on expanding. Their stream team seems to continually be expanding, as well, and is a source of entertainment and competition for all audiences. Briefly, I remember hearing their name when they weren't as big and I'm still in awe at how all of the management's work over the years has paid off. You've got to give it to the owners and their supportive families for the time and sacrifice they pour into everything.

They've decided to keep me around at SetToDestroyX esports for almost two months, which is surprising to me too. I mean this girl writes for those big dogs. No seriously, no one remembers the name of the writer. You need to understand that I am perfectly okay with that. There's one other thing I'd like to address about why I was nervous about taking this position at StDx, and I'm forewarning you, things are about to take a rather serious twist, but I believe in living openly and freely.

I'm one of many who have been diagnosed with some mental quirks, as I like to call them. As of today I know I have ADHD, depression, borderline personality disorder and strong traits of agoraphobia. Social interactions of all kinds have been difficult for me. I go crazy if I fail a task and sometimes it's like I have no control of my reactions or thoughts. Usually when people start to realize these things, they push me away or pull back, but this is again where things get weird. I've had several breakdowns on twitter and members of the organization have risen up to talk me through things. It's unbelievable the amount of confidence I'm gaining as I continue to work with an understanding and hardworking group of people. I am blessed to be apart of the family and can't wait to see how we will self destruct throughout the year.



ATTENTION SETTODESTROYX MEMBERS, PRO TEAMS, STREAMERS & STAFF

I have come up with a bit of a fun way to help all of us. Every Friday I would like to release a blog post featuring a member or a team. The post would be tailored to the individual or group's current goals or accomplishments and will also include media (of your choosing) and links to all your social platforms. I've been wanting to this for a while in an effort to get to know each and every one of you, as well as extending my talents to help you all the best I can. If you would like to volunteer for this weekly blast and wouldn't mind being interviewed, please contact me ASAP at one of the links below.

-        Twitter        -        Facebook        -        Email        -